In many cases during chemotherapy treatment, patients can experience hair loss depending on the type of treatment being undertaken. Hair loss generally occurs within the first two to three weeks of treatment. The drugs used during treatment affect all fast-growing cells in the body, this means that the healthy cells are also affected. Next to the bone marrow, the hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body. The hair follicles absorb the toxins released by the drugs used for chemotherapy and are therefore no longer capable of producing new hairs, thus leading to hair loss.
During chemotherapy the scalp becomes more sensitive to external conditions, such as hot and cold temperatures and exposure to harsh sunlight. In addition, the scalp can become dry and flaky. Hair loss due to chemotherapy is temporary, after the treatment it may take up to several weeks before hair begins to grow back. The hair follicle needs time to recover before it can begin to produce healthy hair again. Initially the hair will be thinner and different in structure. For example, curly hair can become straight and vice versa.
Tips when you have hair loss due to chemotherapy
- Take care of your scalp:
1. Use the Mediceuticals® treatment plan to gently cleanse and hydrate the scalp to help keep the hair follicles in a good condition.
2. Moisturise using DUAL MOIST moisturizing cream and Bao-Med® Pure skin, scalp and hair oil. These two products combined will leave the skin and scalp soft and nourished.
3. Protect your scalp from direct sunlight by wearing some headgear and use a high SPF or sunblock.
- Get your wig from an accredited specialist for professional guidance and advice.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase while you are having your chemotherapy treatment. This reduces friction and leaves your skin and hair hydrated.
- Take care of your scalp:
The use of Mediceuticals® during chemotherapy
Mediceuticals® helps stimulate new hair growth and helps to bring and keep the scalp, hair follicles and hair in optimum condition. For best results it is recommended to start with a Mediceuticals® treatment plan before the first chemotherapy treatment. Always consult a Mediceuticals® specialist / wig salon for personal advice and guidance.
- Gently wash the scalp daily with a Mediceuticals® shampoo (SATURATE , FOLLIGEN, BIOCLENZ or HYDROCLENZ), leave it on for 2-3 minutes and rinse with luke warm water.
- Follow with conditioning the scalp with THERAPEUTIC or VITATIN, leave it on the scalp for 2-3 minutes and rinse.
- Spray CELLAGEN or NUMINOX onto the scalp and massage gently, do not rinse. Apply twice a day AM & PM for the best result. You may experience blushing & a warming sensation, this is a normal reaction and will disappear after 20 minutes. We advise not to use these products 24 hours prior to and 24 hours after using the coldcap.
You can also use Mediceuticals® products after the chemotherapy treatment is complete to help keep the scalp and hair in optimum condition. For the best result we advise you to follow the three steps daily during the chemotherapy. After this you should follow the steps at least three times a week. CELLAGEN or NUMINOX however, should be applied twice a day for best results.
Skin care during chemotherapy
Chemotherapy treatments can cause the skin and scalp to be very dry and flaky. To take care of the skin and scalp you can use DUAL MOIST moisturizing cream and Bao-Med® pure skin, scalp and hair oil. These two products combined moisturize and soothe very dry skin. You can add a few drops of Bao-Med® pure skin, scalp and hair oil to DUAL MOIST moisturizing cream to make a rich nourishing balm for the skin. Apply to areas on the body that are very dry, itchy and irritated.
While showering or bathing you can apply the Bao-Med® pure oil bodywash to dampened skin and gently massage until it transforms into a silky soft foam, rinse off with luke warm water.