In many cases during chemotherapy treatment, patients can experience hair loss depending on the type of treatment being undertaken. Hair loss generally occurs within the first two to three weeks of treatment. The drugs used during treatment affect all fast-growing cells in the body, this means that the healthy cells are also affected. Next to the bone marrow, the hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body. The hair follicles absorb the toxins released by the drugs used for chemotherapy and are therefore no longer capable of producing new hairs, thus leading to hair loss.
During chemotherapy the scalp becomes more sensitive to external conditions, such as hot and cold temperatures and exposure to harsh sunlight. In addition, the scalp can become dry and flakey. Hair loss due to chemotherapy is temporary, after the treatment it may take up to several weeks before hair begins to grow back. The hair follicle needs time to recover before it can begin to produce healthy hair again. Initially the hair will be thinner and different in structure. For example, curly hair can become straight and vice versa.
Tips when you have hair loss due to chemotherapy
- If you want use a wig, it is advised to consult an accredited wig specialist for professional guidance and advice.
- Take care of your scalp daily.
- Consider using a satin or silk pillow case.
- Be careful with your scalp in direct sunlight, chemotherapy may make your scalp more sensitive.
The use of Mediceuticals® during chemotherapy
Mediceuticals helps stimulate new hair growth, it also assists in keeping the scalp and hair in optimum condition. For best results it is advised to begin with Mediceuticals® before undergoing chemotherapy treatment. It is highly recommended to consult with a Mediceuticals® specialist and wig salon for personal advice and guidance.
2. After washing, condition the scalp with Therapeutic, leave in for 1 to 2 minutes and then rinse.
3. Apply Numinox or Cellagen directly onto the scalp while gently massaging in, do not rinse. For best results we advise to apply twice per day, once in the morning and once in the evening. You may experience a warm and blushing sensation, this is a normal reaction. Numinox and Cellagen can be used safely during chemotherapy, except 24 hours before and 24 hours after treatment with the ”Cold Cap”.